Sunday, July 15, 2007

EATIN MY WORDS

The Red Vet poked along in front of me. "You shouldn't drive one of those, particularly a RED one, if you're just gonna constipate traffic!" My thoughts began to push. The red vet paid me no attention and my vehicle slowed with all the others. My thoughts began to create an entire universe in which this person was a total alien, and in the words of an old friend, "must be destroyed!" The little memory of humor allowed my thoughts a slice of light and in that crevice my Father's voice asked, "What cha doin'?"

I'm familiar with this scenario and took a deep breath, relaxing in the traffic. Without entering discussion with Father, I simply said, “Yes, Lord.” and began to pray for the person occupying the red Corvette. Dark windows kept me from gender or age specific prayers. I quickly began to pray in the Spirit and found myself speaking blessings over the life of the driver and their family. In a few moments I had a sensation of what it feels like to be salty. A saltiness from the King’s point of view.

Having entered peace in the midst of a metal river, I was surprised by an overpowered pickup truck that came up quickly on my left side. The truck was so abrupt that it had to break sharply to avoid hitting the vehicle in front in that lane. I began to wonder, “WHERE does that, (OK, I thought moron), think he’s going?!!” I sensed Father clearing his throat, and quickly began to pray in the Spirit, effectively cutting off the cursing flow in my thoughts. Soon I was blessing the man in the powerful truck, his family, his work, and interestingly, found myself praying with his parents with a sense of pride. I could tell his parents were proud of their son. Isn’t that just like Father, to give you an insight prophetically that can make you like a person you were just tempted to be ticked off at? Thanks DAD!

Well, after driving the 4 or 5 blocks to the Post Office in just under 15 minutes, I was thankful for the time of intercession I was allowed to have access to, and completely aware of how much easier it is to curse than it is to bless. Discipline is a root word for Disciple, isn’t it? Hmmmm? Sometimes in the midst of common things, it is tricky to remember that we are not common or OF this present world. We are salt. We are a gift to this generation. God designed each of us to be salty in the days He designed us to live.

OK, I’m ridin’ and taking my own advice.