Sunday, July 15, 2007

RIDIN THE OL ROADS

For years I drove between West Texas and the Austin area. I became redundant in comments like, "Oh, this would be a great motorcycle road!" It didn't matter if anyone was present to hear my repetitions, because I would say it out loud even when alone. I might turn off the stereo, roll windows down, cut the A/C and sometimes even stick my head out the window. Doesn't sound like someone in their late 50's does it?Well, ya just gotta be there, or have 2-wheel flying-fever! These days I've ridden down most all the roads where I previously ventilated verbiage. It is even better on a motorcycle than I knew it would be. Recently I rode 71 South of Brady over to Llano and had a tough time making time. I was late getting out of Midland, in the sense that I had 6-7 hours of riding before dark in deer country. Sun was working hard to give place to moon and I rode moderately above law's letter. The colors grabbed and snatched at my vision, beckoning me to stop and snap back with a camera. Over my left shoulder, for a nanosecond, a scene so rich, so full grabbed at my progress. My right hand let off the friction cruise. I backed 'er down to 60, 50, 40 with pipes poppin and eyes scanning for enough asphalt to turn my bike around. But, realizing the time, I pulled 'er on up again and began to savor the picture in my mind. More light than a Kinkade painting. Although I didn't notice any Hobbit holes, they may have been there. A little pond, encircled by blue carpet with; Perulean, Periwinkle, Cobalt, Cornflower and royal. There were more shades but hey, I was doin' 74 mph. The amazing blue on blue field was assaulted by the deepest greens before all spilled into the little pond. This beauty battle was flanked by a slow rising hillock bursting into flames of: Alizarin, Crimson, Cardinal, Coral, Sangria and of course, Fire Engine. Oh, the glory of Spring colors that rupture through little cracks in the roadside brush line. The fact that sun was about to go off shift made the colors tune up their dying volume the way red clouds mark the end of day's light. I could not stop and avoid the dark in deer country, but I can remember and give thanks. Now you can too.