Sunday, July 15, 2007

SOUND SENSITIVITY

Ridin' South on 35, gettin' into flow on the 20 and headin' for home. As I geared down one gear I became very sensitive to sound. Not only an increase of back-fire and rumble, but also a feelin' like all the metal gears in the transmission were flying around inside the housing like ping pong balls in a lottery drawing.

Needless to say the pucker factor was way beyond just negotiating the turn. I let the bike smooth through the turn, return upright and gingerly brought it back up one gear. Worked fine. "Well, might as well try and get 'er home as anything else." The ride ended without mishap, only a few moments when sounds were NOT right.

Called the cycle shop and made appointment to come by the next morning and let the tech's check her out. Did you know that a loose exhaust pipe can make the bike feel like the motor and transmission are falling apart under the bike? I didn't. Turned out that a nut had come loose and backed itself off of my front pipe. The pipe was still on with one other bolt, but the subsequent leak, and the pressure created when down shifting, made it have all sorts of sounds that did not seem sweet.

That is just a motorcycle story. It turned out fine and the folks in Irving treated me awesome! But it reminded me of being sensitive to certain sounds. While waiting one of the guys encouraged me for bringing the bike in. "Lots of folks will just keep on riding and pay no attention to changes in sounds or vibrations." he told me. hmmmmmmm... I heard what he said, but I also heard what he said.

So, when I was thanking the Lord for watching over me, again, I was also asking Him to help me be sensitive to the sounds in life. Help us all to not become so busy with the ride that we just drive past changing sounds. Help us not become insensitive, or DULL of hearing. Someone said concerning the killings at the college recently, "well, it wasn't as bad as 911." They must be of those that just keep on riding. Hey, let's keep our ears on, OK, good buddy!!???

No comments: